Sunday, October 14, 2007

Wrinkled Memories ~ The Sputnik Shoes



During my father's tour of duty in Germany with the United States Army we had the pleasure to meet an Italian shoemaker and his charming daughter.
Truthfully, I can't remember either of their names.
The name Annette fits the memory I have of the shoemakers daughter, so I will call her Annette. Her father I will call Mr. Manetti because the name sounds like what my memory of him feels like.

I remember Annette as being a kind and genteel soul, graceful and delicate, as if she could be easily broken. Her demeanor was pronounced though casual. I can see her gently sweeping her long, black, gossamer hair from her face. Her small eyes were very dark and much like the movable eyes of a china doll. When she raised her glass it was with a deliberate ease of motion that would surely direct her drink to meet her lips perfectly.
She would tear small pieces of very thin ham with her slender, porcelain, manicured fingertips. It is only now that I realize that the ham in question was prosciutto.
Annette's exquisite nature was a true reflection of the talents of her father.

Annette's father, Mr. Manetti was not only a friend but also made shoes for my mother.
Pamela, my mother, was very stylish, with long wavy blond hair, a look reminiscent of Veronica Lake or Rita Hayworth. Her clothes were tailored and always appointed with the perfect jewelry selection.

The Russian sensation Sputnik was current news at the time, being the world's first artificial satellite. My mother got the idea that she should have a pair of shoes with a design that celebrated the accomplishment of Sputnik, hence displaying her fashion flair with a topical point of interest that would make for good conversation.

Mr. Manetti was commissioned to create the shoes and they would collaborate on the design. Payment for the shoes was to be two cartons of American cigarettes. The shoes were black and white leather with four inch high heals and open toes and sides. A large black double headed arrow symbolizing Sputnik flew across a solid white leather background. The Sputnik shoes were enjoyed for many years and have outlived their owner, no doubt they have many stories of their own to tell.

That summer we would all take a car trip together across the Swiss Alps from Germany to Italy; My father, mother, myself, Mr. Manetti, Annette and the Sputnik shoes.

1 comment:

Donna Layton said...

What a wonderful story. What a wonderful memory. Makes me so melancholy for those heavenly days to be behind us. There is something magical about the age in which we grew up. Today, it's captured only by memory. I'm glad you still have those spectacular shoes! I keep one of my mother's dresses from the 40s hanging in my closet. I love having things to connect me in a physical way to my precious mother. It sounds like you also had an extraordinary mother.